Looking for a luscious vegan chocolaty recipe to surprise your loved one for this year’s Valentine’s Day? This one is excellent. Ta-dah!!! I present you the utmost decadency, the Vegan Fleur de Sel Caramel Chocolate Brownies with Pretzels
Vegan fleur de sel caramel chocolate brownies with pretzels
Note: This recipe uses aquafaba. Aquafaba is the common name for the cooking liquid of chickpeas. You may know it as the liquid found in cans of chickpeas (more information on aquafaba can be found at Aquafaba.com)
For the brownies:
- 2 cups of all-purpose organic flour
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder
- 1 cup of natual cane sugar
- 1 cup of brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
- 4 tablespoons of aquafaba*
- 150 ml of melted coconut oil
- 200 ml of soy milk
- 1/2 cup of chocolate chips
- Salted pretzels
For the fleur de sel caramel sauce:
- 1/2 cup of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup of brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons of vegan margarine (aka vegan butter)
- 125 ml of soy milk (1/2 cup)
- 1 teaspoon of fleur de sel (can also be substituted by plain salt or any kind eadible salt you like)
- Begin with the fleur de sel caramel sauce. Add the powdered sugar, the brown sugar, the soy milk and the vegan margarine to a small pan. Simmer over low heat until the sauce starts thickening. Stir regularly for approximately 9 minutes. When the caramel has thickened, trow in the fleur de sel. Prepare the brownies mixture while the caramel cools down.
- For the brownies, pour all the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Add the aquafaba, the coconut oil and the soy milk and mix while adding the chocolate chips.
- Pour the mixture into a baking pan lined with baking parchment paper. Pour the fleur de sel caramel sauce on top and garnish with the pretzels.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 325 degrees (fahrenheit). Note: You can experiment with the oven temperatures: If you like gooey brownies, consider baking at a higher temperature, maybe 375 to 425 degrees for a less time. It cooks the edges faster and preserves the soft gooey middle. For a doneness that’s even all the way through the pan, use a baking temperature of 325 degrees..
And voilà, you’ve got yourself a vegan Valentine present for your vegan loved one! Bon appetite!
For more vegan recipes, do not hesitate to visit our Vegan Recipes section.